Sunday, August 18, 2013

Real Contrasts Today

Today was a study in contrasts.
First of all, we're in Montreal, a thoroughly French city.  The man next to me in Tim Horton's is talking on the phone rapidly in French.  The menu is in French.  The street signs are in French.  I do feel like a foreigner in Canada now more than ever.  I feel out of place.
Second, we went to a large Presbyterian church in Montreal this morning.  This was a tall, narrow sanctuary with a high church liturgy and magnificent pipe organ.  It reminded me that while I can appreciate the heritage and content of such a service (it reminded me of the services of my youth), it didn't speak to my heart anymore.  Other expressions of worship speak to me today. Once again, I felt out of place.
Finally, we decided to tour downtown Montreal, thinking that it wouldn't be crazy busy on a Sunday noon.  Unfortunately for us, it was the Sunday of the Montreal gay pride event (or parade).  Several streets were blocked off and traffic was very congested.  The event also brought out several "fringe" groups that were a bit unlike anything I'd seen before.  I felt out of place yet again.
But in all this, I think the day underscores the incredible variety of people, languages, cultures, and struggles to be accepted and understood in our world - as well as a great variety of expressions within Christian worship.
It makes me long for the reality that is yet to come; a reality the church itself doesn't always model well.  This reality is the hope of when all these voices and cultures and perspectives will finally see the sovereignty of Christ and acknowledge Him as such.
On that day, I won't even be uncomfortable with the French anymore.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment