Sunday, August 25, 2013

The journey's done. . . and just beginning

Well, it's all over but the traveling home.
Yesterday, we rode the last leg of Sea to Sea 2013 - with some surprises.
We were surprised by how many other cyclists were out.  Our route must have been "the" route for people from NYC who cycle.  There were literally hundreds of weekend riders.
We were surprised by how green the area was.  Our route was filled with woods and trees until only a few miles from NYC.   If you hadn't told us, we would never have known we were that close to a major world city.
We were surprised by how "bike friendly" New York was.  Granted, we went in on a Saturday, but he bike paths and panes made getting through Manhattan very easy.
Finally, I was very surprised by the unannounced arrival of Mary - who met me on the Staten Island Ferry.  What a cool moment.
From there, we did our "closing ceremonies:"  tire dipping in the Atlantic, and a closing banquet with farewells.

So, the cycling is done.  Frankly, I'm exhausted.
But what now?
I think it's too soon to answer that question.  We'll go back to our homes and jobs, but there's no way to know yet how we've been personally altered by this trip through deserts, mountains, prairies, plains, past lakes and rivers - from sea to sea.
Even the magnitude of the trip hasn't sunk in yet.  We just went from one camp site to another - again and again and again.

At the moment, I can say that I'm fine to be off the bike for a few day.  I can say I'm a bit sad about new friendships with people I'll rarely see again - if ever (until the Lord returns).  I can say that I love warm showers and it was fantastic to wake up with the love of my life.  I can say that it was nice to not have to pack up my tent.  It's even nice to be free of bike repairs.

And it's been wonderful to see God's faithful hand in my life - from sea to sea.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Pastor Harold for sharing your journey and tremendous insights with us through your blog. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your words and wisdom and humor with your blog! My Dad and I followed many bloggers and it was so much fun keeping up with the group. My childhood friend, Dan Ondersma posted on my FB page that he knew you. As we became more familiar with the riders we played the game of "Dutch Bingo"!! Congratulations on a great ride! And what an inspiration and constant help you were to the riders, Harold VanderAwesome!! Our God is so marvelous and we are so thankful that all the riders came home safe. Gloria Aukeman

    ReplyDelete